PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1500ft circuits
Thread: 1500ft circuits
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 03:35
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah 'rcoight' I respect yr choice but it's not mine, simple as that really.

The link 'airman1' sent I have seen b4 but didn't want to thro it in to the mix here as I'm sure some would be able to explain away the end result & still believe that had the same scenario been in a twin then it's just as unsafe as the sinlge engine.
Yr right there has been several B200 accidents but ALL would have been due to as in the PC12 crashes end result here pilot error, so the ref to the B200 doesn't fit.
The fact that everyone survived the impact wouldn't to me anyway be very comforting 'cause no two crashes would be the same, obviously the Bog as in soft ground helped the outcome in this particular incident.
It's a tough airframe obviously but I don't want to find out first hand thanks!
I have a great Eg. of why we don't use the PC12's in our section.

I won't go into it in too much detail but substitute the B200 in the following with a PC12 gliding (worse case I know but possible).
Fog rolling in at SHT. Just departed in time before visual ref was lost even with the zero ceiling that the B200 has. No chance of returning even within a few minutes if an engine fault happened. Flight over to CB direct, (no other way anyway to avoid high hills)some lovely nice terrain out there & btw this was all at 2am.
ILS rwy 35 over some very nasty hills in solid IMC only to find that as I broke out just above the Minima the rwy lights where not on, damn stupid pal system at the nations capt airport! I did try several times to get them on prior to arrival so an approach was made anyway, options with a twin & i wouldn't have had to land if one failed during the app., lights or no lights
Finally landed after much swearing to get damn lights on.
Med team back in plane now ready to depart for EN at 5am. Only trouble is ML fogged big time ! We launch anyway knowing that several strips are avail to us nth of ML. Enroute over solid IMC across the hills again we diverted to BDG for perhas the only time I would have felt safe in a PC12, a visual curcuit & ldg.
Plane left there, pilot go home via Cab & sleep like a baby due to one reason, SAFETY in numbers ! (as in 2 engines)

So again I respect yr choice 'rcoight' as to you feeling safer or as safe in a single, it's just not mine & that's why we don't have single eng planes, never will whilst common sense prevails !

CW