PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 01:58
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dream Land
Actually I do use a rudder to de-crab the aircraft in cross wind conditions, a nice increasing pressure during the flare works well, it's the bit that the students have a hard time learning
Slight misunderstanding, Dream Land. As I understand the Airbus recommended procedures, you can use EITHER ailerons OR rudder, but not both at once.

First of all, that would seem to rule out crossing the controls (banking into wind balanced by a touch of opposite rudder) to reduce the amount of crabbing required to stay in line ("Before flare height, heading corrections should only be made with roll").

Secondly, the procedure appears to rule out use of ailerons during the 'decrab' ("Use of rudder, combined with roll inputs, should be avoided, since this may significantly increase the pilot's lateral handling tasks. Rudder use should be limited to the "de-crab" maneuver in case of crosswind, while maintaining the wings level with the sidestick in the roll axis.").

Don't fancy having to do it that way one bit. Apart from anything else, I was always told, besides using the rudder to de-crab,' to drop a wing slightly into a strong crosswind, to make sure that the wind didn't get under the wing and also that, if anything, the upwind wheel got 'planted' first? According to the quoted procedures, you can't do that in an Airbus?