PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grand Canyon
Thread: Grand Canyon
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2008, 20:39
9AlphaWhiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a truly awesome post SN3!!

Wiley: I'm glad to see that "T" prefixed to the 182. As SN3 pointed out, density altitudes this time of year are gonna start looking like service ceilings. I first flew the canyon VFR in October so I wouldn't have to deal with the crowds and the bumps. Summertime at KGCN is like a shark feed, something you might want to watch from a distance and not necessarily participate in.

Procedurally, SN3 hit everything. I did indeed let my friend Otto do all the flying through the corridors while I looked for other aircraft, took photos, listened to and announced positions and changed altitudes as appropriate for each corridor. I hit it on a smooth-as-glass day with a sprinkling of snow on the north rim. Along with some fllights in Alaska, this area of the Southwest has provided some of the most soul-satisfying flights I have ever had. One area that has not been mentioned is Lake Powell. I won't say "don't miss it" because you can't and it is visually stunning, especially in early morning or late afternoon. Plus, you can enjoy it from a practical altitude without that feeling of walking on egg shells that you get over the canyon.

I would also add that a good part of that 30lbs of baggage should include some serious survival gear. There are stretches of that country that are unlandable but there are many spots to successfully force land too. Then what? Just about anywhere west of the Rockies, it would be a good idea to carry a 406 MHz PLB. We have had several incidents within the last year of excellent pilots in excellent aircraft who disappeared in excellent flying conditions. Some had happy endings, but could have been happier, sooner if they had better locating beacons with them. If you have one, wear it. Don't throw it in the back of the plane.

Who mentioned the meteor crater near Winslow? If you have come all that way, it's worth a visit because it is spectacular from the air:

Sorry, I can't stop gushing about the place... Here's Page airport. The cross runway should give you a hint of what the crosswind conditions might be - especially after you subtract out that displaced threshold.

Lake Powell early morning

Marble Canyon airport, near Page and the Glen Canyon Dam

Otto doing his part, flying me through Zuni corridor over the canyon.

My apologies for all the pix, but I just got swept away by the place. One that I think every pilot should prepare for, pick his time and go do it. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I went back and took my brother along. He made a good web page on the trip that you can see here: http://www.vintageair.net/MauleBros/032007/index.html

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.