PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:33
Distant Voice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdSett100; As requested, in reply to

All the facts were examined
You said

Oh no they were not. The only facts that were examined, and they were all available, were the ones that the Coroner wanted to examine
Sorry for the misquote in my original posting, but my question to you remains the same, what facts presented to the court were not examined? Let us not forget that whilst the inquest was driven by the Coroner, MoD had its own legal team in court to ensure that all points were covered.

On the question of the "tea stain", you know very well we are not talking about a tea stain from the galley, we are talking about the statement made on oath by a Kinloss tradesman regarding fuel tracking after a possible blow-off.

"It was like a tea pot stain. Starting below the No1 tank blow-off outlet it was about 6-9" deep and below the bomb bay door hinge line. It followed the contour of the fuselage about a foot below the door hinge line before climbing up and crossing the hinge line near the galley drain"

This statement, along with the airflow diagrams presented by BAE Systems, were a clear indication that, even if a blow-off had taken place (and no one had ever seen one), the fuel would track below No 7 tank dry bay area and the SCP elbow. That is to say, that is most unlikely that fuel source came from the No.1 blow-off outlet.

Anyway, I believe that the bottom line is that the Coroner declared the current Nimrod fleet as not being airworthy, on the evidence presented to him by Group Capt HIckman and QinetiQ. Both said that the Nimrod system is not ALARP.

Sorry I can not send you a copy of the QinetiQ report, because I do not have an electronic version. The document is made up of 185 pages.

DV

Last edited by Distant Voice; 4th Jun 2008 at 17:03.