PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA withdraw from Open Skies Court Case
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:25
demomonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devillish has some excellent arguments. Fancy being the next BACC Chairman?

The industrial-relations of the aviation industry are drastically out of date. BALPA has followed a disasterous strategy. New faces and a new direction is needed. To those BALPA reps currently up for election, you have the chance to make a difference

As a freshed faced youngster, I want BALPA to start discussing how to create a mobile workforce by migrating (i.e. not overnight, thus protecting those nearer the top) away from a seniority based pay scheme that restricts you leaving if your T&Cs drop. If we had a free market of employment, the company would be forced to respect T&Cs or face pilot churn.

I want to see BALPA become more representative. Having read the recent ballot paper manifestos all I read was a bunch of whinges. Summarised: as BALPA good, BA evil. Life is slightly more complex than that. Not a single woman stood for election. Why isn't BALPA encouraging female pilots to stand?

BALPA in its present incarnation is the status-quo. I want to see my union less like Arthur Scargill and more like the union model now adopted in say the car industry.

BA must change too. Willie get with the programme. I have 3 bits of advice for you;

1. Stop chasing BALPA for costs and get on with running and improving our airline. It makes you look petty and vindictive.

2. Concentrate everyone's mind on the little things like getting buses and equipment to stands. Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Costs will tumble if the system ran like clockwork. Bash heads together to make it happen but make it happen.

3. If you want a co-operative and consensual relationship with your workforce you need to change the management culture. The tone/ relationships/attitude of many middle managers only causes resentment amongst those of us trying to do our best for our customers. These people take their cues from you, so lead by example.

Having insulted all sides, I now need to go for a short lie down and then get back to flying planes. Bye.