PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2008, 12:09
Tordan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATCO training eyesight worries

Hi all, Iīve browsed through the thread as well as the current national regulations for medical requirements for an ATCO applicant and may have a problem with my old nearsightedness.
I currently hold a UL-B license, Swedish. Not sure which class medical that required, class 2?
My problem is that prior to my laser eye surgery I had about -8 diopters. The surgery took place 10 years ago and while the result wasnīt perfect it has been stable since. I now easily meet the demands for application to ATCO training. What worries me is of course the pre-op demands of +5/-6. I totally respect stringent demands on current, corrected, eyesight but fail to see what my eyesight ten years ago has to do with anything since I can prove stability since then? Looking in the JAA manual it states that a fit assesment may be possible after 3-12 months under certain conditions, which to me contradicts the pre-op requirements. I do understand that itīs different ruleset, but havenīt been able to find similar info for the Swedish requirement that in turn is based on Eurocontrols documents, phew.

1. Can the medical examiner be flexible in such a case, especially given that Iīm aiming to be sitting either in front of a monitor or up at a tower where there are no high G-loads, low air pressure or other factors that influence aircrew?
2. Does my previous license mean that Iīm considered as a renewal with less stringent demands, even if itīs not the same class?
3. Looking at the requirements there may be a difference between refractive surgery and laser surgery. I initially thought they were the same, but it could be interpreted in such a way that refractive surgery is the type where you actully make small incissions in the eye as opposed to, well laser surgery. Iīm just getting more confused the more I try to find facts...

I have been in contact with the people that held my interview and they basically said that I meet the requirements for application but that I should inform the medical examiner about my medical history. Didnīt get much enlightenment there...
I guess that in the end Iīll take the exam and see what the heck happens, lol.

Cheers from Sweden!