PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC 774 Melbourne - Jon Faine on Fog at Aus Airports
Old 4th Jun 2008, 10:32
GaryGnu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same stuff differnet names

Mr Mach,

That is a fairly good summary of the most recent foray into CAT II/III ops, except the names have changed.

The carriers (one in particular) were not prepared to pay for it, thus the airports were not willing to invest in the required ground infrastructure and the ANSP wasn't willing to provide the navaids. (Although I have heard that some of the ILS signals in Australia are of a CAT II standard.)

Subsequent to this I believe Melbourne independently set out to install CAT III facilities.

This is a cost benefit equation. All it needs are some accountants to come up with a suitable business case and you can have Low Vis Ops.

There are some marginal improvements on the way though; Transmissiometers in Sydney to allow RVRs of 550m to be used for CAT I minima; the possibility of suitably equipped aircraft conducting Low Vis Ops with approved HUD systems...

Tankengine,

I believe GLS is only being developed to CAT I standards at this stage. CAT III is the ultimate goal (but so is world peace!!)