PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC 774 Melbourne - Jon Faine on Fog at Aus Airports
Old 4th Jun 2008, 04:19
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I agree it's a total pain on the few occasions each year that fog bites Sydney or Melbourne, (Canberra's another matter altogether), how many of Australia's 'always look to the bottom line' current operators would be willing to spend the money and the sim time in getting their crews Cat III approval and the expense of keeping them current?

Years ago, I witnessed the imbecility of our system at its best when Sydney ATC would not allow a BA 747 to take off in low viz because BA was not on Sydney ATC's (then brand new) list for Cat 1-approved reduced viz takeoff operators. Meanwhile, domestic F27s and Chieftains were allowed to depart.

I thought the Nigel was pretty restrained in his comments to ATC, all things considered.

(Does anyone else recall when Australia went from 300' ILS minima down to 200', but only if crews did an autoland? Australia re-inventing Aviation again, treating a Cat I ILS like a *** Cat III?)