PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2008, 02:45
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll tread carefully and not mention anything that might upset those with EADS shares.Dont want to get censored again....
The usual suspects are here ..the wet and the tailwind.. but maybe we as pilots arent focusing on the real killer...namely the reluctance of the pilot to perform a go-around from the deck(and some would say theres a general reluctance to perform any kind of GA).Why is that?Is it fair to say that a majority of pilots associate the GA maneuver with being airborne in the first place?In the sim we see 99% of them that way..so it becomes part of our mindset,once on the deck,we're committed.
But the runway GA is a perfectly valid and safe maneuver and should be trained more.Generally,the shorter the runway,the quicker those hands are to reach for the reversers...which is a natural reaction but also a shame as it narrrows the window for the runway GA option as well as jumps the gun before spoilers are confirmed...suppose the rwy report was way off and you started aquaplaning,you wouldnt get spoilers but youve already pulled the reversers,very dicey..
Some pilots will take it round again if they land on the wrong main gear first and only get flt spoilers instead of both flt and gnd..its that tight a decision...you pull the reversers when you're sure that everything is AOK and not until..ie you got the right touchdown point,and you've got the green light on all your spoilers..rev thrust makes a lot of noise but only contributes 10-20% to your stopping capabilities..why the hurry.When the time is right,by all means go for full GA rev thrust.

Dreamland,
Please dont dodge CONF iture's question.Its too important.

Strong Resolve,
I totally agree with you that they put the cart before the horse..machine before man..but they wont admit to that now will they twenty years on?Also I strongly support your view that the crash in Bahrain was "facilitated" by the Airbus design..not caused by it,just facilitated by it.