PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 75 hrs in ANC
Thread: 75 hrs in ANC
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2008, 01:03
anchorriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I can have your job...

If you're into fishing, King Salmon is about to return to Ship Creek. It may take hours, or sometimes just less than 30 min of fishing, for you to catch a fresh King. You need a wader to fish tough (and of course the license)

The sushi chef in Sheraton Hotel ANC, Mr. Abe, knows quite a lot about Alaska fishing. He used to cook for the Japanese diplomat before he took his current job. Best sushi in N. America. With or without your interest of fishing, I highly recommend to try his sushi.

If you wanna try to a real beast in the ocean (and won't mind paying a lot of money for fuel..), drive all the way to Homer. It takes about 5 hrs from ANC but it's a very scenic drive anyway. The view which you just can't see in southeastern Asia. There are many charter boats down there for salmon and halibut fishing and all you need to bring with you is warm clothing and rain gear, just in case. You can vacuum-freeze your catch and bring it to your home. If you don't wanna carry it with you, you can FedEx it with 70% airline discount.

If you just wanna buy smoke salmon (though it must be from last year's catch), drive to Indian Valley south of Anchorage. Best priced smoke salmon in ANC area, though Alaskan Sausage in the city is quite good but expensive...

Tight lines,

AR