PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 23:45
EdSett100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DV:
I know that the "tea stain" track was overlooked by the BOI along with the non-activation of the temp probe in No. 7 tank dry bay area. Waht else do you need to know.
The tea stain track was indeed overlooked by the BOI because it was, indeed, a tea stain. We have a galley sink drain in the vicinity of the Stbd 7 tank dry bay. This caused some much needed laughter in the room.

I disagree that the temp probe was overlooked. I assume you are discussing an overheat detector. It is set to operate a red light immediately below the flight refuelling switches on the flight deck. The air engineer was one of the most experienced and capable individuals we had. It is standard practice to make a clear announcement on intercom if that red light illuminates. He was operating the refuel system and that light was directly in front of his eyes. He didn't mention it, so it didn't illuminate. What does this tell us? It tells us that there was not a significant hot gas leak in the stbd 7 tank dry bay. The detectors are cleverly placed to protect other systems (it is possible that these detectors were mistakenly thought to be the fire detection and suppression system quoted in the safety case; but I speculate). It is possible that a small leak played directly onto a fuel pipe coupling and caused the seal to fail. For that reason, the BOI correctly identified that scenario as one of the possible causes of the fire.

Regards
Ed