PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - O'Leary suggests Jet2 and Globespan will go bust
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 23:41
EI-CFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just because MOL said it, it doesn't make it untrue.

There will be casualties in the low-cost airline field over the next year. It's a given. Certainly one of two of the central European based operators will probably fold, and it's not beyond the bounds of possibilities that one of the smaller UK operators will hit hard times.

For those saying "Jet 2 has done such and such... GSM has hedged until whenever.. GSM is only one part of a bigger business" etc it matters not one jot. We've seen bigger, more expansive operators fail before over the years who had all those things and more in place. In the UK, I do think that they are probably the ones in the most precarious position. GSM is unfocussed (is it a LCC, a lessor, a charter airline, a long haul airline?) while Jet2 is just in a much weaker position (route network, fleet etc). I don't know if they will fail, but common sense seems to dictate they are on shakier ground than the big boys like FR, EZY etc

No one can predict the future alas. But I'd urge people to not write off MOL's comments just because you might not like him.

We'll see in 12 months I guess!