PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Building and getting a website up and running - help please
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 23:11
cargosales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building and getting a website up and running - help please

Building and getting a website up and running - help please

Help please any web-tech-savvy people! I've been through all the stickys and FAQs and can't find the answer to my question. If I've missed something then apologies and I'd be grateful for a good steer!

I recently started my own business with a couple of clients in the bag and was planning to have a website built and put online etc by a local company which came up with a very reasonable proposal. Nothing flash at all - just a few pages of text/graphics explaining what I do, the benefits of my services and how to get in touch etc. I'm pretty good at using a PC but I know nothing about websites so was happy to pay someone to do it for me. At least that was the plan ..

.. until my main client defaulted on his invoices after just a couple of months, leaving me in serious doo doo

So, a website has become even more of a priority now, except that I'm now going to have to do it myself and for next to no cost. And I really just don't know where to start + £0 = x2

I've looked around but frankly I'm completely bewildered by the huge number and variety of offerings out there and I have no idea which are good, bad or downright ugly. There seem to be 'all inclusive' packages with x amount of webspace/bandwidth, 'hosting only' (but how do I then get a site online?) etc etc etc

Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction? As I say, I don't need anything flash at all, nor a site which automatically appears on the front page of a google search. Just something which prospective clients can look at for more information about what I can offer them. The only proviso unfortunately is that in the short term it has to be ultra low cost.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can offer

CS