PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We're all *****d!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 21:34
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 170 Likes on 65 Posts
1) There is an argument that the LAST thing Brits cut back on is the god given right to take the kids on a decent holiday (often defined as 2 weeks on the costas with a kids club, 3 bars and an eat & drink your own bodyweight daily challenge tariff). Often put forward by IT charter pilots.

2) I'm not sure being 20 is such a good idea. I believe there will be a similar scale airline industry in 10 years. Probably in 20. In 30 I get a little nervous..

3) This is the biggy - it only takes a coupe of airlines at the margin to go under to totally shaft all Wannabes. In the 1990's recession it was Air Europe and Dan Air going under that did the damage. Plenty of other airline continued to trade, millions continued to fly each year and the sun still comes out - even in a recession.

But, when a couple of airlines go to the wall they release hundreds of experienced and rated pilots who suddenly will take any job at any wage. They don't need type rating courses, they don't need extra line training they present zero training risk.

Doesn't matter if CTC or Oxford or the RAF say that you are Gods Gift to aviation. Nobody wants to know when there are a stack of CV's by current airline pilots who are typed and hungry.

Your IR and your exams will expire before you get a first job interview. Some will laugh at you. The school that you trained at will have gone bust. Family and friends will be asking when you are going to start using your license. You have no language skills unlike all those Scandies and Dutchies who have perfect English and have already started learning Bengali or Madarin. The Bank Manager will be hunting you down with night vision goggles.

Once a few airlines or even one airline at the margin goes under it is GAME OVER for wannabes in a recession.

But nobody tells you this.

Unless you read here and listen to Wild-Eye-Weasley and his spickle flecked rants of doom (see I do have self awareness).

Seriously, things will be bad and unless you understand the last time this happened you probably have no idea how bad it gets and how quickly it occurs.