PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Planning systems
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 18:02
sandokan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expad abroad wrote:
Hi all

Have used a number of different systems over the years and all have there good and bad points.

Jepps have used 2 different versions and both were okay. sometimes a bit fiddly until you get used to it, especially for building a new route, but as it's about 8 years ago, could have changed.

PPS is okay, but would only use it for european or short haul. Think it lacks some of the features you want for long haul ot ETOPS flights. But again an easy enough system to use, possibly a little slow, but it depends on your pc spec.

Skytrack from EDS is current system. I find this a very felxible system to use and real easy to build routes in. Auto generated routes are mostly RAD/SRS compliant with just the odd one not working. Generating routes for long haul is very quick at finding best route for winds, then just a little toying with either end to make sure its comliant. We use it in conjunction with a graphical world display, with route, sector, FIR and restricted areas overlaid, and this makes a big difference.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Regards Expat.
I can agree.....

worked with LIDO which is for e a pain in the ass for that kind of price tag.
Slow when doing long range and looks like from the 70`s with no improvement. Too overloaded. Was not able to get a solid flightplan for a GLEX......

Agree with PPS - good for EUR section.

Agree with EDS Skytrack + Flight Globe together.
The way to go and for a Dispatchers point of view - solid,fast,reliable and ease to use. It`s not the 100% cow - but its very well worth the money you spend.

regards
sandokan