PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 11:25
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think this accident was an Airbus problem
Too early to tell what the story might be. But as a bystander I'm becoming increasingly uneasy about the Airbus automation, how its implemented and interfaces with the crew. In days past the man/machine relationship was much more direct ie pull this handle and X happens right now. There seem to be so many interlocks and preconditions that have to be met before anything happens these days that I find it no surprise that crews are at times caught out and wondering WTFIH. There seem to have been far too many accidents and the chant is always "Follow SOP's" or "More/better training". What if a manufacturer was to introduce a throttle set up where by you push the lever forward to reduce power and pulled it back to increase power. Think it would take off (no pun intended)? I'm sure there would be accidents but the SOP's and training mantra would still hold good. Whats it matter which direction the throttle moves?
PS Prior to WWII at least one country had the forward for idle, back for full power throttle convention - France.