PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High accident rates in light twins an alternative?
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 09:48
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizofox

Of course we are amicable :-) i will run these tests but yes I think I will get the results that you are indicating as I have always had a climb at VYSE when going level and it may have been my interpretation which has been wrong ;-)

Addendum

This nevertheless does not negate going for level flight as another option for these reasons.

Firstly in the climb at VYSE your margins are small ie get down draughts, turbulence, distractions, poor piloting skills and it is very easy to loose that target speed and start going into coffin corner. Less speed, more control inputs more AOA, more induced drag and no speed safety margins.

While I appreciate that you cannot create speed if you are only flying level with max power at VYSE, if you do get a climb even a small climb that can be exchanged for cruise speed by leveliing off. With that extra speed in level flight your controls are not all crossed over. You do not have as much aeleron or rudder in put. You do not have such a dead feeling unresponsive aircraft.

So with minimal climb converting that to level cruise is a much more comfortable situation with more margins for error. As your speed builds to say 125 kts in cruise use the trim wheel to climb.take a taget speed well above VYSE say 105 kts allow the speed to bleed off in that climb until it comes back to 105 kts then trim forward again for level flight. Allow the speed to build again to 125kts and again trim for a kinetic energy assisted climb again.

I wish someone would try this and report back as it is a lot more comfortable in a light twin and I believe has less room for error and hence the high engine out accident rates using conventional methods in low performance twins.

Take care

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 3rd Jun 2008 at 11:01.