PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smuggling Cargo Through Courier Shed In MMIA LOS
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 06:54
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get real!

You are asking people here to stop something that is happening with the co-operation of people in authority in Nigeria. You know as well as anyone how the system there works, when either we small fish turn a blind eye to things or else have bad things happen. Over the years a whole system of corruption has been built up and allowed to flourish to the point where it is very deeply entrenched.

Are you aware of the story of the reporters getting the secretary of a previous anti-corruption official on their hidden camera demanding a bribe to get them an appointment with his boss? No? How about the way that Financial Times reporter was given 24 hours to leave after he did some reporting about the un-economics of Ikot Abasi? Missed that one too? Okay, how about the economics of the funding for Arik Airlines? Not exactly transparent, eh?

Anyone who spends much time at all in Nigeria, unless he is brain-dead, quickly gets and keeps the idea that it is one place that runs on "dash" and learns how to live with that or else heads off to greener pastures.

Every so often something happens that really gets people's attention. For instance a local company got into big trouble with the American authorities, the Securities Exchange Commission, in a roundabout way. They were clearing their goods through MMA by bribing the Customs people, as they had done for years. Well, there are very strict American laws that prohibit U.S.-traded companies from paying bribes, "commissions" and what-not.

Ever wonder why European companies often do so much better selling their aircraft in Africa when the obvious choice might be a North American product? These laws might have something to do with that.

In the case I mentioned when the news finally worked its way back to the S.E.C. the poo hit the fan. That one was an exception, though. Generally everyone accepts that there is a way to get things done in Nigeria that involves making "friends" with the man who can give you that all-important clearance. Then there is some huge scandal or not, when your friend packs out to his palace in the bush and you have to make a new friend, installed in the name of fighting corruption! The racists among us are happy because it just "proves" that Nigerians are all corrupt, the big men are happy because nothing much changes, some of the little people get their spare parts or whatever... It is only people like us who are vaguely upset about what is going on there, but just how do we expect to see things change? Look at what happened in Ghana for one possible solution, but that is a very risky way to go.

I remember very well how one of my local colleagues was very happy with "I.B.B." coming in to restore honesty in government and chase off all those corrupt civilians, when we all know how that story ended! You might hope for a Rawlings and get an Abacha.

I am well out of Nigeria now but I still get reminders; many people here have worked there, including some who were kidnapped in the Delta. Well, the "oil patch" is not such a big place; I have even had passengers who used to fly with me into Warri Airstrip in a Twin Otter or into Osubi in a Dornier, when we will talk a bit about what is going on now in Nigeria. We all agree that it is a real shame, yes, but nobody sees a way out. The curse is all that oil money flowing in, enough to support this culture of thievery that has given the country a world-wide lousy reputation. After a while people get tired of all this palaver about the potential and just look at the reality, or just look away. There is no one here with the power to change anything, or am I missing something?

As to that other thing; the people in South Africa persecuting the foreigners are not the ones posting here. It is a typical Nigerian response to ignore whatever is wrong at home and point the finger elsewhere. That you have the ragamuffins at the bottom of South African society doing black-on-black violence... what does that have to do with what educated ones write about Nigeria? At least the ANC is making some feeble efforts to address their problem; can you show us where the rulers of Nigeria are doing something about this corruption?

Last I read, the (effective) head of the anti-corruption unit in Nigeria was invited to take off for London and make way for someone else; maybe I am a racist but I got the idea they want someone who will play along rather than really do his job.

By the way: I wouldn't agree that Lagos is an "absolute dump." What it is, is very, very unsafe! Well, I just have that opinion because I almost was shot by robbers there but that is just me... On the other hand, back home in Germany I have lots of paintings done by a young Nigerian artist, something to remind me of one of the positive parts of Nigeria: the sunshine, youth and enthusiasm for life that you can find there.

Where I work now, the nearest town really IS an absolute dump, just a sandy, crappy mess, the sort of place people live just because they have to, without loving it at all, unless I am missing something there. A glass of tea on a terrace is about it for fun. On the other hand, it is relatively safe. You might get your pocket picked or your bag stolen from your car if you don't lock it in the boot but gun attacks are unknown. I can drive into town for a haircut or to do some shopping and not worry about having that random, unlucky encounter with some gun thugs, something that was always in the front of my mind in Lagos.

Last edited by chuks; 3rd Jun 2008 at 07:09.