PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects for JAA fATPL in a far away land..
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 00:58
Flex_Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm in a similar position to you. I'm 35, got my PPL in Florida 2006, and just did my first re-validation. I failed selection for Oxford but they said there was nothing to stop me being a pilot. I am about to resign my job to eat beans on toast for 2 years whilst I take the first step of doing the ATPLs. Luckily for me I have a contact in Ryanair who reckons he can put my CV under the correct nose. However, bearing in mind my age, and *the other things in life* I'm setting my goals more realistically and would be just as happy to fly the ATR for Aer Arann! ...Even if the ATR Type Rating is as expensive as B737/A320 - its getting your foot in the door!
The ATPLs are not a massive risk - 6 months of swatting, we'll see how I get on with that...
thats my plan - things will improve - read Flight International - theres more airframes being built now than ever and the ATR being efficient - its ound to be more popular!