PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantas Engineers Set to Strike
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 00:45
Konehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Find a better paying job. Apparently there is a skills crisis? In this thread people have argued that that QF engineer's are poorly paid and ill-treated. If that's the case then apply for jobs in other companies. If you don't wish to change companies or work locations then you have made a financial decision not to do so. QANTAS are not a monopsony.
I dont want to leave QF. I am proud of it's history and the part Engineering has played in it. The current situation is temporary, so is the management regime. They are both in stark contrast to anything I have seen in my almost two decades of service. I'm going to hang in there in the knowledge that the current crop of managers are on borrowed time and the perhaps vain hope that things improve. If they don't then I know it's time to move on. You'll be the first person I tell "You were right, I shoulda left long ago".
Further, I want what I was promised. Simple. That is, to be "looked after when times are good" in return for the sacrifices - both financial and non-financial - I made for QF.

I agree, it is unfortunate that a four hour stop work meeting will inconvenience passengers. But please keep in mind that we offered to have a one hour information meeting with skeleton crews to maintain the operation. GD refused. Does that refusal constitute the legal obligation to negotiate in good faith? Is that showing goodwill to the passengers? Granted, innocents will suffer. C'est la guerre. Collateral damage is a fact of life. But we didn't trigger the 4 hour stop work meeting. And as GD says, the disruptions were minimal because we gave three days notice. The schedule was amended as necessary to produce the minimal delays. The real delays are being caused by a lack of manpower.

I know what you're thinking: "why did you need an information meeting? Wont emailed notices suffice?" Well, I guess you had to be at the meeting to understand the importance of dialogue.