PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 19:15
FlyingKnobbi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I went for the assesment last week and just have a couple of things to say:

i) With regard to the original post on this thread, the task with "growing lines" (on micropat) is no longer there. It is replaced by putting a small dot into a square using the joystick with the controls reversed. When this is done, you have to do it again but doing the subtraction exercise at the same time. You get your average time to put the dot into the sqaure on both tests.

ii) Apart from possibly the radar screen I would say that the cockpitweb sofware is not all that great (considering it is £80!) I found that the capacity test (on cockpitweb) with shapes and numbers was not at all difficult and was getting 100% without practice. At BA you have to do it with the "shaky" cross which is more difficult and not possible on cockpitweb. What makes this a capacity test is the mental and co-ordination ability at the same time. You cannot practice this on cockpitweb and so seems a slight waste. Suitcase man and subtractions not that challenging. Friend or Foe is OK but by the last stage (at BA) it is very difficult. Of course cockpitweb is a confidence builder.

iii) You get 25 questions in 12 minutes on maths, no calculator. I would say the key is to immediately recoignise the "lenghtly" questions and skip them. All questions same marks. There is no difficult maths. If you had 30 minutes, a 15 year old would get 100% - it's just time pressure

iv) Verbal Reasoning is VERY difficult and much harder than any examples BA sent or I could find on internet. Even the examples on the day are hard. My guess is the pass mark is low on this.

v) Interview questions all covered here.

vi) Group exercise about something completely different (from original post) but same idea. No time at beginning to read, just told you have 35 minutes and to start! At minus 10 minutes, urgent fax arrives. Don't be loud, don't be quiet. Listen, talk and agree or disagree politely. Sounds obvious but it would be easy to take charge or just to let everyone else talk! Quite a nice ice-breaker for you aswell, as you are not on your own and if it goes well (you get a feeling) sets you up for the rest of the day.

vii) All salary etc given at lunch, I do not believe you are assessed then! It's all professional and nothing "under-hand!" I would eat before they take you for this briefing as most people did and could be embarassing if you were the only one eating!

Hope this helps. As others have said, it's not such a bad day. Very professional and quite "entertaining!"