PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 10:26
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunc0936
I have not read through the whole thread, however are these airframes totally knackered and in need of scrapping, or just in need of a danm good service (i.e. money spent on them) and some good tlc???

sorry for sounding very siomple
Yup, spot on, knackered, scrapping or a damn good service

Well looking at this from a laymans position, the solutions do seem very simple, though it would mean spending a bit of money, in the long run the RAF would have a platform they could be really be proud of and it would stll be 100% british
Yup, spot on again. Indeed we have been spending a bit of money, over the last 15 years or so, giving it a damn good service, new wings and undercarriage even, and a new avionics suite.

Still a old aircraft that either needs a major overall or replacing as follows

1) complete new design of airframe to put the exsiting kit inside, or buy off the shelf, Boeing/Airbus

2) Get Bae to build completely new airframes i.e. start the production line up again, and carry on with the Nimrod, because if it is such a crap aircraft as some people have said then why has it lasted so long?

I peronally believe that it is more of a case of lack of money to service them correctly and upgrade them when needed

Just a thought

Duncan
Well we could have gone for Boeing or Airbus but 15 years ago it was deemed far better (ie cheaper) to go for a damn good service.

Well not completely new airframe but essentially the bits that were recycleable, such as the fuselage seemed a good idea at the time.

Now however for a personal opinion. Many years ago I used to wonder how our cousins could take an aircraft, like the B52, and do a root and branch refurbishment, new avionics etc, and keep the old airframe in use for ever - same with the KC135. OTOH the Vulcan could have been extended for years with improved avionics etc.

It all boils down to money and need. The cousins had both whereas we needed the money to buy TSR2/F111/F4/Buccaneer/Tornado etc.

Even the cousins ran out of money when it came to re-engining the B52 with 4 turbo fans vice 8 jets.

At the time new was not an option and, as ever, the Treasury is king. Also the Nimrod 3 AEW fiasco is too recent to follow suite with Numrod 4 MRA one even if it is a different Government (or perhaps because it is a different Government).