PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Border between being assertive or arrogant/rude
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 07:35
low n' slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B777:
Would the outcome have changed significantly if the problem had been solved your way? I think we all judge the importance of things by looking at what the outcome will be. Lets say I'm between a rock and a hard place. Which errors will create the biggest danger?

I think of the outcome versus the working environment. In as many situations as possible, one should avoid being too assertive. Once you draw the line and start dictating, out goes cooperation and with that a great deal of safety.
I think your action shows that you were more focused on maintaining the cooperation and valued this higher than the outcome, that is, if the problem was solved your way it wouldn't have made much difference. I think this simply reflects a healthy attitude towards situational awareness and cooperation. It would be interesting to see though, where you draw the line, that is, when the outcome is very important and there is a erronous descision being made and you know it.

Centaurus: CRM is not a recent invention. It's simply management-speak for "he's a good guy to work with", "airmanship", "captaincy", etc. etc. Just because one acts the fool in the cockpit and behaves like a dictator and then gets upset when the commander intervenes in the flying, you can't take cover behind the proverbial CRM shield. I know many do it, but the same rules that have allways been in force, still apply. Smirking at high fuelfigures or when someone flies the plane a bit slower than Vmo/Mmo is simply poor airmanship, ie. that person has poor CRM becase it puts negative pressure on the other pilot.

/LnS