PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High accident rates in light twins an alternative?
Old 1st Jun 2008, 15:05
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing link?

I can take the ribbing but am trying to have a serious discussion. To clear up a few points yes it is obvious that the faster you go the more drag there will be, not in question. Take an aircraft on the ground no speed no drag any speed above no speed will create drag.

VYSE is the speed set in the climb where on one engine you have minumum drag and the best speed to make the maximum climb possible.

I have gone on a lot about KINETIC energy, talked about the power of that energy talked about Bob Hoover looping his twin using nothing but Kinetic energy.Talked about gliders. I have talked about total energy management which is not just from an engine.

I am sure Wizofox in his 777 knows only too well that if he leaves cruise thrust set and descends his aircraft will accelerate due to Kinetic energy plus his thrust. If he does nothing his 777 will accelerate through VNE.

I am shown graphs designed at a single engine climb and power from an engine and these are used to rubbish cruise. Fair enough but then that in itself is a blinkered misconception.

I have asked Wizofox to explain scientifically an undisputable fact as I appreciate his expertise. What am I but a practical pilot not a scientist.

That undesputable fact in simple terms is that the majority of twins will cruise happily on one engine in level flight but are pigs in producing any sort of climb. Infact some light twins dont claim to climb at all engine out (I am thinking of that old twin engined bi-plane forgot the name ) but it will cruise level on one.

Wizofox fails to respond with the scientific/ aerodynamic reasononing for the above and gets out of it by demanding I answer irrelevent questions to the arguement of his first.

My guess not being a scientist is that in any climb situation there is only one energy source available and that is the remaining engine. That remaining engine has NO assistance from Kinetic energy as the aircraft and engine are in a negative situation. The remaining engine trying to drag the aircraft skywards and in the process making the most of the process by selecting a minimum drag profile and speed.

Once in level cruise the aircraft is not in a negative situation. Yes because it is going faster there is more drag. Any speed above the speed needed to maintain altitude in the cruise is a bonus and now becomes a mixture of engine power and Kinetic energy. Because the engine is no longer trying to drag the airframe skywards there is excess power to maintain level speed only and the aircraft accelerates.

So Wizofox with all your knowledge please enlighten me to the relevant scientific facts of why a twin will fly happily for hours on one But will not climb? Then we might get somewhere.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 1st Jun 2008 at 15:29.