PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Border between being assertive or arrogant/rude
Old 1st Jun 2008, 14:57
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So called CRM has destroyed the "old fashioned" good manners and respect that was once a feature of a well run cockpit.
Hold on a minute there...... The archetypical 'old fashioned, well run cockpit' was a dictatorship where the captain was god and the other cockpit occupants warmed the seats. We all know how good this was for flight safety.

The modern cockpit is a much safer place with the introduction of CRM. What has changed is society in general and much of your 'old fashioned' good manners and respect is lost on the younger masses. However, the individuals that display such undesirable traits are few and far between in the flight deck in my experience and the situation you describe is not one that I have come across. Most guys welcome the input if they are getting it wrong and certainly are happy to talk about it in a much more positive, open way once the engines are shut down, grasping the opportunity to learn from the experience. I was certainly like that when I was in the right seat and continue to be so in the left.

It is easy to make up an example of 'failed CRM', but put it into context. For every failure like the one you describe there are several successes due to CRM.

PP