PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guard (121.5) police get it wrong
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2008, 14:41
PPRuNe Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday on 121.5 there was somebody who'd got into deteriorating weather conditions in Bedfordshire. She'd sensibly called up D&D and was getting vectors and traffic information; sounded quite stressed. Every now and then a voice from the other side of the Atlantic would chip in with "you're on guard" or "stop talking on guard", even when it was the D&D controller who was speaking.
I'd heard that as well. I think it is time to start identifying these Guard Police idiots using the automated fixer service available in D&D. If there is no doubt as to their identity, then the authorities should be raising formal complaints with the aircraft's State of Registry. Maybe then the penny will drop that their interventions are unwelcome and hampering proper use of the frequency.

For the vast majority of heavy metal flying around, you're almost certainly likely to be talking to an ATC unit. If you have an emergency, who are you going to tell ?? The ATC guy you are currently in 2 way contact with and knows where you are, what type of aircraft, where you're going to, plus all the traffic around you, or by using 121.5 ?? I'd suggest the former.

So why the big need to actively monitor 121.5, and chip in whenever it is being used, in airspace where there are ample communications if you have an emergency ? SOPS may say you have to do so (the monitor bit at least), but what do the SOPs wish to acheive ?

The only reason I can see for CAT monitoring 121.5 in Europe is so that we can track down traffic who is no longer on the frequency that they should be. Maybe we should provide a dedicated frequency for that issue and leave 121.5 to those who really need it. CAT could then monitor their new frequency which will only be used to tell you that the fighters are about to be launched against you if you don't get in touch with who you should be. The flight deck crews will then be able to enjoy their cheese board in peace, simply monitoring the 'naughty boy' frequency on box 2 as part of their SOPs, and leaving people on 121.5 to deal with emergencies or practices.

Job done