PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High accident rates in light twins an alternative?
Old 1st Jun 2008, 13:57
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a long time since my piston twin days but I think Pace has a point or two here.

We're not dealing with perf-A aircraft, so there is no magical flight path to attain which will assure safe continued OEI flight up to MSA. I would agree that concentrating all your efforts on keeping blue-line when you could add a reasonable buffer and still climb or maintain altitude seems like a sensible idea to me. Dropping much below Vyse (for whatever reason) towards Vmca has such serious consequences that the above seems like a reasonable trade.

I don't have any graphs in front of me but if you can - and I'm going off the figures presented here - (just) climb a light twin at 90kts OEI but also cruise it level at 127kts at the same mass, then you'd have thought there was a continuous range of speeds between these two where you could trade ROC for airspeed. If this is not the case, then there must be some rather peculiar drag characteristics, maybe requiring special techniques to generate a transient drag reduction/effective power increase (gentle pushover & descent) to allow acceleration into a more favourable regime and a resumption of level flight or climb.

IMHO, it's not flying level or even slowly descending that's dangerous; there is time to correct this and after all, you have to descend at some point to land! It is the potential loss of control from asymmetry that's the killer and airspeed is most definitely your friend here. You don't need to be in a light twin, either - an empty A330 with a very high power-to-weight ratio will do exactly the same thing, as demonstrated at Toulouse in 1994...