PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glenforsa Update
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2008, 09:57
crt86t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I monitor the Oban and Glenforsa Forums all the time and I have never seen fit to get involved with some of “discussion” that has been going on.

I have been flying to Glenforsa for over twenty years and have assisted as A/G at the fly-ins for some time. Now that Glenforsa has a formal radio (and a proper aerial) from an A/G point of view it was nice to be able to hear aircraft coming down the Sound of Mull rather than when they were just visual with field. I fully agree with a former post here (“COMMENT”) that the subject of “A/G control” is not for this forum.

The subject of “advice” is interesting and I believe relevant to Glenforsa.

Wherever I fly, especially if I have not been to the location, I always phone first and get any PPR, any local conditions, or “advice” over the telephone. If conditions alter in any way en-route I am very happy to receive further “advice” from ANY radio that may affect any decisions I might have previously made. The local people have the experience relevant to their airfield and they generally do know best.

Over the last fly-in weekend over 90 aircraft came and went during the time the radio was manned (08:45 – 17:30). There were also numerous movements outside those times. Only one aircraft came in using an incorrect frequency and we received numerous compliments regarding the service given. Several aircraft asked for “Flight Information Service” and this was refused as we are A/G. Several aircraft asked for “Clearance to Take off” and this was not given, again as we are A/G. If an aircraft asked if there was anything on finals, they were “advised” that there was “nothing seen to affect”. The “advisory” wind was given over the radio using our experience of what tends to be somewhat tricky short final conditions when the wind at Glenforsa has a southerly component. The “advisory” QFE give was based on a serviceable aircraft altimeter on the airfield. On several occasions, Scottish telephoned because they had “lost contact” with an aircraft inbound to Glenforsa and we were able to tell them the exact time the plane had landed or departed. This is also not part of an A/G service.

I have worked as Popham A/G for many years and do not see anything wrong with giving such “advisory” information on A/G, especially at Glenforsa, a place that many people have not visited before. This is a Professional Pilot Forum, I like to give out on the radio what I would like to hear myself but agree that the final decision to do anything as P1 at Glenforsa is entirely up to me!