PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cwmbran ATC College
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2008, 05:29
EastCoaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrisy,

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend BAe Cwmbran. I have been there twice and have been extremely impressed with the attitude of all of the staff (not just the instructors), and the quality of the training provided. Also, they are very receptive to any criticisms/suggestions for improvement.

The only thing I would say to you though, if you're considering a possible commute from Cardiff every day. Be prepared for a very early start if you hope to beat the M4/Newport/Cwmbran traffic and get there on time for the 0830 start! Could be difficult for the 16 weeks (minimum) that you'll be commuting for the ATC Basic and ADI courses.
If you are self-funding, I would suggest that you consider budgeting for HOTAC while you're on the course. Believe me - given the traffic in that area during morning and evening peak periods, you'll appreciate it.
The college have negotiated special discounted rates at the Holiday Inn Express just off M4/J28 in Newport, so that should make it a little bit more palatable to consider.
I know it's an extra expense that you'll probably prefer to dismiss, but take it from one who's been there: very early starts mixed with hard commuting and ATC training are not likely to lead to a successful outcome! You'll be putting yourself under a lot of unnecessary extra pressure during a time when you can ill-afford it.

Get in touch with the college themselves, as Dizzee has suggested. First-hand information is always very valuable.

Classicwings: I know somebody who has recently self-funded a Basic/ADI course at BAe, and I'm pretty sure the fees paid were nowhere near £25k. In fact, I'm certain it was much closer to £15k-£16k that was paid in the end.
Also, I know somebody else who has attended courses at both BAe and ASTAC, and who does not hesitate to recommend BAe when asked to choose.

Hope this helps.