PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High accident rates in light twins an alternative?
Old 31st May 2008, 16:39
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>Why descend to accelerate? If you have excess power to climb at Vyse, simply leveling off will accelerate the aircraft with no height loss. If you DON'T, the aircraft will not maintain height at any other speed.<

We are talking about a situation which can and does occur with a light twin when at grosse weight, an old aircraft with tired engines rather than the immaculate test machine the manufacturers use to get their paltry 200 fpm at grosse on a standard day doesnt climb.

I was just in that situation a few years ago loosing an engine at 200 feet at grosse on an above temp day. Luckily for me I decided to go against my "trained" procedures. I decided to keep the damaged engine going as although the vibrations were bad it was still producing maybe 30% pwr.
I knew without any shadow of a doubt that if I shut down I was going down NO question.

I placed one hand on the prop lever ready to pull it had it gone bang and yes flew blue line until 1000 feet at approx 150 feet per min. Had I shut the damaged engine down I can assure you that the aircraft would have gone nowhere but down into the trees blue line minumum drag or whatever. So lucky I used my brains rather than slavishly following procedures.

Once in level cruise I shut the engine down and Majic 125+ kts and a relatively simple piece of cake. Cause was three sheared rocker shafts.

Explain that situation to me ? Why was the plane a dog at blue line and I pride myself at my technique and a doddle at 125+ kts and level. Once at 125+kts the aircraft lost NO altitude and that is a fact with light twins. They do not climb well if at all on one but cruise happily at a reduced power setting on one in level cruise.

All I have said from the start of this thread this is a techique given to me by a fighter pilot and because of my real world experience I gave it a thorough trying out. Of COURSE if you are getting a healthy climb at blue line continue.
But if you are not loose a little height tap into kinetic energy and establish a level cruise. If that fails go for the trees anyway as you havent lost a thing.

Pace