PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots really deserve our support re Openskys?
Old 31st May 2008, 10:31
Gypsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To quote from Tandemrotor: -

"For my troubles, I received several abusive PMs from anonymous idiots, who wouldn't have the balls to say anything to my face. (and at least one HAS had the opportunity!) I admit, I have replied in kind!

I also know for a fact, these were individuals who tried, and failed, to pass the BA selection procedure. Draw your own conclusions!

I guess the fact that we will remain the most well rewarded pilots in the UK makes us a target for all the bile these underachievers can muster"

1, Your first point - despite the obvious quality of BA training (I mean it) you obviously haven't learnt one of the basic fundamentals of CRM - namely 'behaviour breeds behaviour' and the need to always remain Adult even when those around you are being childish or parental.

2, I get rather fed up of pompous posts from a few within BA about how wonderfully better than everyone else they. TR - your second and third points - having seen BA recruit some pretty obnoxious individuals I wouldn't be too sure that the guys not accepted are inferior. I acknowledge that BA in general have some excellent people but nothing is 100% and at times I can assure you that BA have rejected some good guys and taken some that other employers were very glad to see the back of. I was also once in an expat national carrier when a retiree BA Capt joined and needed extra sectors to get checked out of line training - a rare event maybe but nevertheless enough to possibly shatter TR's delusion of superiority. All airlines make occasional errors in selection and I hasten to add I have friends within BA and colleagues who are ex BA who are excellent characters and pilots. I expect many BA pilots cringe at posts by TR and others like him.

3, As far as OS is concerned I really think this was a misjudged episode by BALPA and BA pilots - OS a/c are no more BA a/c than GO's were - OS is a subsidary company with a seperate AOC = seperate terms and conditions etc etc. If OS wasn't targeting premium class pax and longhaul then we wouldn't have heard much about it as we didn't about GO which many who object to OS probably saw as a tatty little shorthaul operator which they didn't really want to dirty their premium class hands to be associated with anyway.

Before the expected insults come back, I've never applied to BA - it just never matched my needs but I'm sure it is great airline with many great people in it and like everywhere else, some not so great.

The truth is that sitting up the front of your Boeing or Airbus, you can't tell what the paint scheme is on the outside and whether the pax are in 29 inch econ seats or flat beds, they all deserve the same professionalism and levels of flight safety and comfort that we all strive to provide.

PS: I never worked for Go either