PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glenforsa Update
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2008, 07:39
Comment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the term "licensed controller" because one does have to have a licence to use even an A/G and it has to be signed by the controlling authority that owns the actual radio station. Do not confuse this with a "licensed/unlicensed airfield". I was talking to the "Popham man" using the Glenforsa Radio and he certainlly had the required licence to operate that radio. The other two people using the A/G were also "licensed" to use it. Without a signed "A/G (or higher) licence" no-one would be able use Glenforsa Radio. As I understand it the frequency 120.800 was only finalised one week before the fly-in but Scottish 119.87 knew about it and gave it to me before I got to Oban.

On the subject of Gleforsa Radio sometimes being unmanned, this happens a lot at small airfields where they cannot justify having someone on the radio 27/7 and 9 hours a day. If you don't have an ATZ then you can't stop military (or any other) planes coming close - it's all down to see and be seen. I read in Pooleys before I set out that Glenforsa was "Strictly PPR" and therefore the "special event (the fly-in)" was given to me before I left. The discussion about who or what "controls" who is not a subject for the Glenforsa Forum. I personally liked the ADVICE given to me on the radio.