PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radiotelephony in shambles in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2008, 03:03
Flying Guy

Left Seat 747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my two cents - a lot of unnecessary talk

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this so far but there is a huge amount of unnecessary verbiage congesting the frequencies. It usually starts with "good morning" or "good evening". Listen guys and girls, if you are coming onto a busy frequency or into FRA or AMS and they are really busy, you don't need that greeting.

If you are on a busy frequency in radar contact and turned over to a new controller, you don't need to name the position or fix you are over - they already know.

You don't need to add the word "maintaining" after you give your flight level.

When transferring to a new controller the call-up can be as simple as this, "Radar, GlobaL Air 245, flight level three five zero." Instead of, "Good morning Radar, this is Global 245 air crossing enema intersection flight level 350 maintaining - squawking 1234."

Sheesh - You just don't need all that and it is using up the frequency.

Just my two cents. I don't mind the "good morning" stuff if the frequency is quiet but really guys, not necessary in a busy environment.

Oh and by the way, a pet peeve of mine are people who transmit instantly when they switch to a new frequency. Please wait more than a micro second! India is the worst for this, everybody stepping on everybody else.

Last edited by Flying Guy; 31st May 2008 at 03:26. Reason: minor text changes