PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 30th May 2008, 16:20
peterinmadrid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrible economic outlook - Time to quit?

Given the state of the world's economy, the current price of oil, peak oil theory, another airline going bankrupt every week, airlines announcing plans to reduce their fleets and layoff staff, self sponsored type ratings and "pay to play" line training programs - I ask myself if I am making a good investment and whether is it worth continuing to work hard and spend huge amounts of money on a career that is looking increasingly inviable. I love flying and there is nothing that I would rather do professionally - but there comes a point where you have to pay some attention to reality and think about whether you are just throwing money away. My flying school (the cheapest here in Madrid) has just increased its prices by 30% and so that's suddenly an extra xx thousand euros at a time when the economy is in ruins. I wonder if I am alone in thinking this way. I know a lot of people will say "never give up" but the outlook is getting bleaker each day and I don't want to spend 80,000€ on a license that I will never use (if I never find work) and costs several thousand euros each year just to renew.