PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High accident rates in light twins an alternative?
Old 30th May 2008, 15:54
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Pace,

We are actually closer to agreement than you recognize, at least in terms of technique. Flying level at a higher speed rather than climbing slowly at Vyse may indeed have merit as a technique where terrain is not a factor.

What I am NOT willing to let you go on is some of your more outrageous errors when it comes to aerodynamics, as they have led you to make statements that work only in the magic kingdom.

Your statement:-
I appreciate Minimum drag at best rate of climb BUT I am not talking about climbing at all or minimum drag in the climb.
and then say
With any climb you are looking at an increase in angle of attack and with an increase in angle of attack you are looking at DRAG.
Shows that you neither appreciate or understand a fairly basic concept.

Minimum total drag occurs at a particular angle of attack, which, at a given weight, will correspond with a particular speed. Whether you climb, descend or stay level at that speed depends on how much power is applied. You continue to imply that accelerating , because it lowers the angle of attack reduces drag. It REDUCES induced drag whilst INCREASING form drag, thus INCREASING total drag. Minimum means minimun, anything else is an increase.

Vyse is not exactly Min drag, but it's close, as it takes into consideration things such as control drag. BUT it is the BEST RATE OF CLIMB SPEED and thus, by definition, any other speed has LESS rate of climb (Look BEST up in the dictionary!). If the BEST rate of climb is zero, flying any other speed produces a descent.

Go ahead and and fly level all day. As I said, it may be resnoble under some circumstances. Just don't imply you can somehow make an aircraft do BETTER than BEST!.

By the way, have another look at that chart that gave you 127kts cruise on one. TAS right? At what weight and what height? Work out what INDICATED speed that corresponds to, and get back to me!!