PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High accident rates in light twins an alternative?
Old 30th May 2008, 15:45
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason I am NOT is the very fact that even with new aircraft where the miserly 200fpm are achieved on standard days, Many light twins may be 20 years old, be covered in hangar rash, have tired engines and the temperatures may be above standard.
It can become 50fpm before you know it... if you're lucky... and that's before OEW revisions...
Whenever we got one engine out on take off, I have to rush back to the hotel and pick up clean underwear... not too often, but you know what I mean.

At 33C, we're often reduced, because otherwise, we'd be forced to do what Ssg does on N-1 at anywhere during the take off, abort... I refused a "symbolic" V1 for the ops... reduce the load thank you! The first time I saw that light twin do a near MTOW run after maintenance, the engine conked out and 3000m runway suddenly looked very short!!!!! (thanks to a former CASA/MDCA guy who advised we avoid MTOW citing reasons Pace mentioned).

For ref: It was a C402B, a DAMN OLD one...

PK-KAR