PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL- Half UK, Half US
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2008, 14:44
nobbyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did it...

I did excatly what you hope to do at Ormond Beach - although I had somewhere north of 45 hours in the UK (but strung out over 2+ years!). I had a completion quote for 10 days - the reality it took more like 25! This was due to weather, a/c availability and a closed runway. Make sure you get advice about the best time to go - I would suggest winter is a good idea. Some of the instructors at OBA are superb, especially the few with UK experience. Overall, it can be a very frustrating experience, but you will get the PPL if you stick at it. If you do go down this route, be careful with any quotes - if you change anything (like having to come home and return later, or you decide to stay in a hotel rather than the packaged accomodation) you may well get stiffed for extra charges (they will put you on a hourly rate as opposed to a package). Also don't forget the pain and suffering you have to go through to get the US Visa...

Having said all that, the flying in FL is excellent and the experience is well worth it.