PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dare to fly in the HK skies with our future genius air traffic controllers?
Old 30th May 2008, 06:47
throw a dyce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure these Students will come crashing down to earth sooner or later.It's difficult to cheat in a Radar practical.If they get to the coal face with the genius ace of the base attitude,when they are useless,then I would hope that the OJTI process would catch them.
As for having a degree.It's makes no difference.It's purely are they interested and do they have the ability.I have seen all sorts become very good controllers,and all sorts not pass OJTI.
One aspect of HK students is that they control by numbers.Their bookwork is very good but they aren't the best at being flexible.If the book doesn't say it you Cannot.Practical work they are OK as long as everything is on the rails,by give them an unusual situation it all changes.This is not what you want in an emergency,and was a factor in the UK introducing TRUCE training.This is why they struggle on Approach Radar.Emergency well? Any emergency I saw in HK had all the locals running around like headless chucks.

Just My Twopence worth.