PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow & other Oz offshore pay deals
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2008, 02:45
papa68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calm down.

Pepi72,

Mate - clearly you did not read my post with any intent but to take offence. I quote, "sorry if I have offended anyone as that is not my intent here." I could not have been clearer but if you choose to ignore my carefully chosen words...

This is a shame as my post was intended to applaud yet another improvement in conditions whilst I acknowledge that the new DP is not perfect. Instead, a series of rants from a disgruntled employee has been the outcome.

Of course this new arrangement will not suit all with immediate effect but then things rarely do. It will though be open to all eventually provided they progress through the system satisfactorily. However, I think I owe it to myself, and perhaps our other contributors, to bring some balance to the whole discussion.

Firstly - I don't know how my being ex-mil (or not for that matter) has anything to do with this. My true colours? What exactly are you implying?

May I suggest that you and all our other readers out there have a quick look through my posts and tell me if I don't try and present a fair and balanced view on most things aviation related. I would then ask all to have a look at yours. The proof is in the pudding - I don't get personal and I try not to rant.

Secondly, your accusation that this will benefit 6 Capts who have done nothing to further the cause is just plain wrong. In fact, much has been done to try and resolve this in the past (and I have personally been involved) and the bottom line is this - pilots DON'T tell the company how to do business or set policy. We may enter into dialogue IOT try and have certain matters resolved to the benefit of the pilot body, but in the case of domicile, right or wrong, BHA has (and continues to have) the right to decide such matters. Hey, I don't like the uniforms right now but management has decided that we are to wear what's been provided.

If you don't like enough, you also reserve the right to either a) not join in the first place, or b) resign. I would suggest a better idea might be to continue as you are, obtainig your command and then enjoy the benefits of this new arrangement, which, reagrdless of what you might think, is still an overall improvement in the conditions of employment at BHA.

Your point about people not putting in the hard yards to better themselves is in itself a very interesting one. Are you on the BHA Pilot Committee? Did you do anything to further the cause of the BHA pilots recently during the EBA discussions? In answer to both, I am and I did.

Further, the BHA Pilot Committee is now looking for 3 new members. I look forward to hearing from you because I know that you are passionate about issues that affect BHA pilots and as such, you would like to contribute in a more effective way than perhaps you are currently.

With regards to the potential employ of mil types, I am ambivalent in this area. Whilst there are ABSOLUTELY guys out there who would qualify in terms of experience etc, whether they will want to, or will be deemed suitable by BHA management is another issue which I doubt anyone is able to forsee. Also, I don't necessarily think that getting a bunch of these guys is good thing if they do want to head over but as I don't make these decisions, it matters little what I think.

Re your comment about HA's requirement for FOs for their 139s. You are correct. If their conditions are better than BHA's then you'd be a fool not to go. Having worked on getting you, arguably, the best conditions in town, I doubt that will be the case but time will tell. Again, supply and demand.

Re your assertion that I don't value co-pilots with x amount of time. You have just made that up my friend. Nothing could be further from the truth. Show me where in my last post I stated that and I'll buy you a beer. I stated a fact that relates to supply and demand, that is, if you don't have certain qulaifications, endorsements or experience, you will not be as highly sought after and therefore renumerated. Exactly what is wrong with my logic? Oh, and by the way, a Capt can actually fly with another Capt but now I'm just being a bit cheeky.

BHA co-pilots are not treated like 2nd class citizens but I'd agree they don't get everything a Capt gets. Should a co-pilot be renumerated exactly the same? If that were the case, why become a Capt and enjoy the benefits that come with that? It works like this... FOs enjoy some benefits, SFOs more and Capts yet more. I'd concentrate on getting my command at BHA, that should take about 4 or 5 years (maybe less if you have met certain criteria). It'll be a lot slower moving over and starting again.

You're right in that life sometimes sucks. Moving to Perth etc etc is an absolute pain - I know because I had to do it. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it. But as you say, the option to move to CHC with all the benefits you expouse exists. So what are you waiting for? Or is the deal at BHA, whilst not perfect, good enough to keep you at BHA? Market forces...

P68