PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2008, 01:08
RESA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
747 Crash at Brussels

Blacksheep

Excellent forensic photos??

Engine failure(s) would definitely explain the brakes.

In photo #1, the ploughing of earth is likely due to brakes . . . I would not have expected a rolling tyre(s) to make such a deep trough and removed so much grass. Also in photo #1, the little white mushrooms sitting on the international orange sticks (just left of the a/c) are the Localiser antennae (likely a little 12’ x 12’ bldg. within 200-300 ft. of antennae with LOC electronics). The trucks do appear more “folded under” than “driven up” . . . must have nosed forward and in as you suggested.?

Train tracks and road immediately adjacent the clear-way and on the extended centre-line is a real challenge!! The mound of dirt is actually for the LOC to adequately service the other end of the runway . . . but now you compromise this end. Arresting Beds have been around for a long time on highways and such (IE: gravel beds on mountain roads). The current airport air-foamed-concrete requires considerable maintenance but is a viable alternative in some locations. Anyone who has a basement knows how concrete likes to suck-up water. This is why they are painted and plastic coated. In the colder climates (-30 to –40 C) they can become blocks of ice. Also, you had better know if the runway you are departing is using them . . . go for it . . . or hit the breaks?

TORA, TODA, LDA, don’t tell you much when it comes to arresting beds. ASDA implies that the ground under the clear-way is solid and useable (structures there on are supposed to be frangible). Very few airports have chosen to declare a safety area.

Anyway, before I get accused of rambling again . . . I will close.

Again Blacksheep . . . good pics! . . . who are you !?