PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HELP ! I am 41 y.o. and looking for a flight school in SA :-)
Old 30th May 2008, 00:14
zapoi67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP ! I am 41 y.o. and looking for a flight school in SA :-)

I start a new thread, since the questions that appeared in the thread about "SAFTA" are of more general concern.

Actually the problem is quite complicate.

1) In which region to train ? Where is the weather more favourable for training (I understand that one shouldn't hurry with the training itself... but I wouldn't like to waste my time just sitting around waiting for acceptable meteo, since I'll leave my family -my wife and my son- in Europe while training. And I'm already 41 - so time is an issue) ?

2) Which airport ? I heard that most of the Gauteng airports (except Grand Central) suffer from traffic congestion, particularly WB. So, is the Coast better ? And wouldn't it be wiser to train at an uncontrolled aerodromes such as Kitty Hawk, Progress/Victoria West, etc...) ?

3) Which schools do have EXPERIENCED instructors and not newly licensed CPLs ? Maybe the clubs ?

4) What about the costs (I mean : value for money) ? For example, SAFTA seems to be quite expensive...

I would really appreciate if you can answer one or several of these questions. Thanks for help !!!

PS : I understand that finding the right instructor is the key, as well as finding the school with the best suited vibe to me. But, since I am still in Europe, I can collect only objective information.

PPS : My present not-so-short-list (randomly) : Progress Flight Academy, FTC George, Algoa-PE (but their twin is expensive), Superior Pilot Services and Flight Training Services (both at FAGC), SAFTA and maybe Superb Flight Training (Kitty Hawk)