PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radiotelephony in shambles in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 22:18
sooty615

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry JJFlyer, but I was not suggesting that you may have done it, but so many do. Once or twice is bound to happen to all of us at sometimes in our career, but my observations are that it has got busier on the radio, but not to an extent that should concern us - not just yet anyway.

As those who fly outside of Europe will know, there are many TMA's with frequencies far more congested than the likes of London/Frankfurt/Paris. Many such American controllers for example are dealing with traffic of all kinds destined for airports in close vicinity to a major hub - the difference is that they seem to manage it with more "break breaks" than European fliers are familiar with. In a way it stops the often unnecessary chit chat and lengthy calls/readbacks that some of our breed seem to like to make. Part of the problem also seems to be that low houred F/O's have still not yet got over the love of hearing their own voice - and insist on talking for too long. (I was guilty myself when I was first given the opportunity to advertise my presence and RT skills).

I was merely pointing out to those posters who made reference to flying past or through FIR's that the clue of a missed frequency is obviously a lack of radio chatter. As others wisely pointed out - if it goes all quiet for a while, first check your volumes, and or make a radio check. Not really rocket science is it?

The other solution of course would be to let the FO's fly all the legs - now that would give us all a lot of peace and quiet!!

Sooty