PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental Airlines Treats Their Pilots Like This???
Old 29th May 2008, 22:01
aviationluver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Continental Airlines Treats Their Pilots Like This???

I just jumpseated roundtrip from Houston, Texas to Buenos Aires on Continental Airlines (CAL).

There are other American carriers that fly into Buenos Aires from the states. American Airlines, United Airlines and Delta. What do these 3 carriers have in common that is not in common with CAL? Well, when the pilots of these crews are finished, they go on 36 hours rest. Meaning they land in Buenos Aires in the morning and return in the evening the following day.

What do CAL pilots do after flying 10 hours? They are given 10 hours of rest. 10 hours??? Yes, you read correctly, 10 hours!!! What does this mean? After a 10 hour flight, they must spend 30 min, passing through immigration, etc, to go to the van. Then anther 50 min drive into the city to the hotel. Repeat the same process on the way back. Find time to eat, change, shave and shower. Your 10 hour rest is now reduced down to 7 hours if that. And that 7 hours is in broad daylight when your body will not want to sleep.

You have got to be kidding me. I'm tired enough as it is as a non-revenue passenger. Even though CAL pilots get some rest on the airplane, this is completely ridiculous. How can you expect to fly a heavy, widebody back to Houston on another 10 hour flight after just 10 hours of rest??? There have got to be some serious saftey and fatigue implications here. The CAL pilots told me it was legal (they don't like it) but still.

Also, what does this say about our industry? Is this the direction all carriers are going towards? I thought Cathay gives 3 days to their crews on overnights. I thought back in the day, 3 to 5 days layovers were the reward of finally making it to being a senior, long haul international pilot.

CAL pilots you HAVE TO change this on your next contract negotiation. I don't feel safe knowing this now.

What are your thoughts?