PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 29th May 2008, 17:40
Biggus

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
With regard to resoucres and money .....'not being an issue'.... in terms of carrying out whatever work (if any) intended to make the aircraft ALARP, I would direct people to my comments in post 820 of 26 May. Since nobody can be bothered to go back and look I repeat them here...

"If resources aren't an issue why aren't there Nimrods now at ever major aviation technical centre in the country, Marshalls of Cambridge, Heathrow, etc with civy techies swarming over them carried out BOI recommendations.

Or why isn't there a tented city of techies from Waddo, St Athan, Cosford, Leuchars, etc currently set up at Kinloss working 3 shifts 24/7 to get the work done.

I think you'll find resources aren't an issue when politicians/senior officers are asked, but when it actually comes to opening the chequebook and providing the manpower..............."

When I posted that someone said I must be joking, and to be honest I was. But the comments I made above would be the actions I would expect if resources weren't an issue, and changes were going to be made AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! What they actually mean is, as soon as possible within the constraints of business as usual in a long winded ponderous organisation. It's funny how quickly things could be made to happen in the run up to the Falklands War!

Instead, assuming some rectification work is to be carried out, I expect it will be done by the usual suspects at ISK, after contractual negoitations with the civil firms involved, various committees have met, only part of the fleet gets done to save money, etc, etc, while senior officers and politicians talk of work being done..."as a matter of urgency.....highest priority....as quickly as possible", etc, etc. Actions speak louder than words, and the actions so far do not seem representative of something (anything) truely being done 'as quickly as possible'.

By the way, I am not, nor have I stated or meant to imply in any of my comments so far, advocating that the MR2 fleet should be either grounded or scrapped. Neither am I denograting the efforts of either aircrew or groundcrew at ISK.