PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel prices - can we protest ?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 14:39
flyems

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe Public if they heard that 'millionaire' pilots were paying half the duty rate that are paying for their road fuel
It gets me going when some suggest that all I am doing in this country is to pillage and rob the economy and those people that do not partake of one of my passions…

‘Millionaire pilots’ invariably contribute the following items to keep this economy afloat, including but not limited to:

1. PAYE in HUGE chunks, because they are either employed, or employers,
2. Tax on fuel for their vehicle(s),
3. Road tax for their vehicle(s),
4. Create employment in aviation,
5. Council tax in HUGE chunks for their residences, because I cannot imagine many of them, if any, in benefit housing,
6. Huge chunks of VAT for equipment, training, etc, etc,
7. Taxes on aviation fuel.

Taxes should not be punitive, should not be tweaked and adjusted to reflect my income/asset base/activities etc, it should be levied equally to those that partake, or could potentially partake of the benefits provided by those taxes.

Alternately people with other expensive hobbies, i.e. photography, parenthood, car racing, etc etc should be subjected to the same persecution....

the loss sustained by the Government would be too big and would only be balanced elsewhere by quietly increasing other taxes
The alternate would be to curb expenditure?

to find your own oil well, extract it and refine it yourself... whilst keeping uber quiet about it
Uber quiet indeed, HMRC is now demanding taxes on a per unit basis from those that are making their own biofuel from whatever raw products, because it is fuel after all..!!

What's going to have to change is the unsustainable notion that the populace have to keep paying more and more for an over-inflated and useless Government that tries to dictate to people how they should live their lives and removes freedoms from them.
I say the Captain should get the keys for No10.....