PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No sound after clean install of XP
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 14:11
whiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No sound after clean install of XP

Hi All,
Some advice needed please before my pubescent teenage son drives me bonkers. A few weeks ago his hard drive crashed, a lot of the data was recoverable but the final fix required a new HDD and a clean install of XP. The PC is now up and running normally with most of his old files recovered and in place but Im buggered if I can get the thing to play sound. It wont play any sounds at all not even the default windows 'booting up' fanfare. I have tried downloading drivers from both the XP disc and from the net, neither of which made any difference. I have gone through the start-control panel-sounds and audio devices procedure and ticked the 'use only default devices' box again this made no difference. I have had a look on the motherboard where the speaker jack plugs in but I cant see any manufacturers name so Im not even sure if the drivers I have downloaded are suitable or not. I am now out of ideas and rapidly being driven to distraction cos he cant listen to his itunes innit !
Anyone point me in the right direction ?
Thanks in advance
PS Yes I have ensured the speakers are powered up and are plugged into the correct place