PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - age ain't nothing but a number?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 12:28
AndoniP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
age ain't nothing but a number?

So reading PPRuNe it seems that there are tons of qualified pilots out there but not enough jobs for them. Stories of qualification years ago and still sending out CVs, working for next to nothing to get flying hours, it seems sensible then to ask the same kind of questions regarding jobs.

I'm looking to change career and follow the boyhood dream of being a pilot. Currently i'm 34, in IT and have a mortgage, fiancee, the works. When it comes down to it money isn't a problem for a CPL (parents can lend me the money) however there are 3 main factors I need to consider:

1. whether i will actually be able to get a job regardless of who i fly for
2. the relocation to get said job
3. my age

I understand that at 34 I may be slightly older entering the industry but will this hamper my chances of getting a job? point 2 i'm not that fussed about, the fiancee said she would move with me even though we are looking to get married next year, most importantly would be point 1, the availability. If the market is saturated would it be easier to get a job flying cargo planes or for private / corporate companies or something?

I guess your valued input will help me gauge whether or not it's worth pursuing the dream or sitting behind a desk until i retire...

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Andoni