PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life/Illness Insurance
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 09:43
Can't Hover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Life Insurance

I may be being a bit naive here but I think that the Service Life Insurance (SLI) is brilliant!!

I'm insured for £200,000 for approximately £20 per month.... amazingly cheap if you ask me. The only exclusions are suicide in the first year of the policy and death due to a terrorist CBRN attack if you have ceased to be a regular at time of death. Additionally you get a pay out if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness with less than 12 months to go.

Previously I had a quote for £180k cover which came out at around the £100 per month mark. Yeah ok, you can claim back 90% of the extra loading, but at the time you only got reimbursed at the end of the year(?) Struck me as pretty expensive. It seems you get massively penalised once they find out you're aircrew, particularly fast jet, and they add on extras for "dangerous" sports such as skiing, scuba diving etc. Whereas with SLI you don't.

I'm the first on to admit that I'm not the most financially savvy, but I will be interested to see if other, more canny, folks have got a better deal than that afforded by SLI, without having to accept outlandish exclusions which they may live to regret.

I stand-by to be proven wrong but I think that SLI is too good to miss out on.