PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow & other Oz offshore pay deals
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 08:17
papa68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa there fellas!

agent99 & pohm1,

Your points are noted and of course have relevance. I would agree that the DP as it now stands is not perfect but then if it was, we would have nothing to whinge about and thus would cease to be pilots (as I understand them to be ).

Again, market forces are in play even as we speak and I am quite sure that should those forces continue to play out as they currently are, then the DP will be revised further. How long ago was it when BHA pilots were required to live on site? We've come along way so let's not just focus on the negatives. Conditions for ALL helo pilots are on the improve.

a99 - you are correct but in terms of progression, I would suggest BHA has better opportunities currently and also better prospects perhaps with regard to future improvements in conditions. CHC has one major drawback in all of this EBA stuff - their EBA includes their EMS guys. The PC at BHA is determined not to make that mistake. Ultimately, the market will make its choice. Should BHA have trouble picking up suitable FOs as things stand now then CHC should benefit. I suspect that BHA will actually recruit slightly more experienced pilots (who were unwilling to move under the old DP) who can be "fast tracked" to command. The rest will have to do the hard yards just like everyone else. If you have less than 250 ME command or are not endorsed on type etc, you are hardly the most sought after pilot in town and so conditions will tend to reflect that fact - sorry if I have offended anyone as that is not my intent here.

p1 - the Domicile Policy allows its pilots to move to where ever they like once certain conditions have been satisfied. Therefore, the argument in regard to loyalty is invalid because those that move IAW that policy have not been disloyal. If you choose to stay on in Perth when you could in fact move on, that is a personal choice which wouldn't warrant a "loyalty bonus" IMHO. CHC has this incentive based pay because it is trying to encourage its pilots to move to Darwin when they don't have to under their arrangements. This does not apply to BHA yet as it is a requirement to move if you don't meet certain criteria. Perhaps in the future, BHA may move to this model to try and keep people in Perth but then their operations now include Melbourne, Wynyard (short term), Honiara and Truscott.

Perhaps their cunning plan is to have bases everywhere and not just WA thus negating the whole Perth basing issue altogether.

Bags the PIC position in Sydney!

P68