PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter magazines
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 07:59
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K77, you seem to be all over..

As a little advice for newbies, I'd add my impression.

I subscribed to Helicopter International. It's very useful periodical, but after initial rush of having 'heli mag' in hands, although reading every issue (6 issues a year) almost through and through for over year, I don't find it so useful for someone just starting training or with keen interest.

It's of much more value to a pro. All the R&D articles, short 'regional news' covering latest companies and aircraft movements/changes etc by continents, articles about something of a historical importance, military 'corner' (middle of mag with mil news), database of mil and civ RW aircraft by state, 'accident spot' with very brief two sentence stats facts etc.
Ie, reading it to 'be in the know' in the industry.

I did look into Heli Ops in the past on their website. From what I've seen and from what Autorotate just mentioned, I find it more interesting for someone to 'get a taster' of the industry thanks to variety of articles.
Plus visually very appealing :-D You know it feels good to check out the curves (of the gear) and the place she could be found (outdoors on a mission)

Can't tell of Vertical, but Autorotate suggests it's his main competition, so..

To sum it up, Helicopter International is important, but more for a pro than wannabe/trainee pilot. I went for it as I live in the UK, but will probably go for Heli Ops or something of that kind next year, as H. Int'l would (hopefully) be useful more in 3-5 years' time :-P

I'll check out some heli mags I'd find around FTO I'm starting with soon, if I find anything relevant, might add to my post.